UPDATED 3/30/20: Our galleries, museum store, and library remain temporarily closed to the public. Until we can welcome you back, stay safe, stay home, and stay connected with us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube. Explore our online learning resources here.
Exhibit Opening Celebration
10:30-2:00 p.m., FREE and open to all
Join us to celebrate our newest exhibit, Pahko'ora/Pahko'ola: Mayo and Yaqui Masks from the James S. Griffith Collection!
- 10:00 a.m. Museum Opens
- 10:30 Outside Welcome by Dr. James Watson, ASM Associate Director
- 10:40 Outside Statements by the curators: Diane Dittemore, Santiago Benton, Daniel Vega, Jim Griffith
- 11:00 Outside Blessing by Modesto Bule
- 11:15 – 12:30 Outside Dances by Kolencia Oficio Achalim, Daniel Vega introduces the group
- 12:30 Inside Exhibit tour with Yaqui Pascolas Modesto Bule, Jose Alvarez, and Mayo Pascola Santiago Benton
- Inside Refreshments
- 12:45-2:00 Outside Los Hermanos Cuatro
- Ongoing Outside Mask carving demonstrations and sales—Louis David Valenzuela, Eddie Martinez
Tissue paper flower making—Pascua Yaqui Ili Nanam, Rosenda Perez
Yaqui musical instrument lotería
Yaqui artist sales: 1519 Rebellion (t-shirts, paintings); Susanna Arellano (beadwork and "deer’s eyes" necklaces);
Gabriel Ayala (ledger-style paintings); Francisco Baltazar (paintings, necklaces); Marcelino C. Flores (paintings and storytelling);
Jose Gallardo (traditional necklaces and paintings); Felicia Martinez (sculpture); Sal Sawaki (paintings)
TEACHERS! Earn up to 3.5 hours of professional development credit!