Cultural Resources Management Services
Pursuant to the Arizona Antiquities Act (AAA; A.R.S. § 41-841 et seq.), the Arizona State Museum (ASM) administers the preservation of archaeological and paleontological discoveries on state lands in Arizona. State land is defined as land owned or controlled by the State of Arizona or by any agency, instrumentality, or political subdivision of the State of Arizona, including any county or municipal corporation.
Among ASM's state-mandated responsibilities:
- ASM maintains site records in the Archaeological Records Office (ARO), curates archaeological collections in the Archaeological Repository, and project reports and records in ASM's library and archives under terms of the Arizona Antiquities Act.
- ASM's Permits Office issues permits for archaeological and paleontological surveys and excavations conducted on state land.
- ASM's State Repatriation Office oversees the discovery and repatriation of human remains discovered on state (A.R.S. § 41-844) and private (A.R.S. § 41-865) land in Arizona.
The Cultural Resources Management Services web pages provide information on all aspects of the museum's state-mandated responsibilities and provides access to electronic documents, forms, and hyperlinks to key references. All service requests must be through the ASM Request Quote for Services website found at: https://uavpr.arizona.edu/ASM/quoterequest.
- Report archaeological and paleontological discoveries by email or phone at 520-621-2096.
- Report human remains discoveries by email or by phone at 520-626-2950.
Archaeological consultants – A list of archaeological consultants that can assist in complying with state and private land laws for state in Arizona.
Routine Office Hours
- Archaeological Records Office - Open Tuesday through Thursday, by appointment
- Archaeological Repository - Open Monday through Friday, by appointment
- Permits Office - Open Monday through Friday, by appointment
- Repatriation Office - Open Monday through Friday, by appointment
- Library - Open Tuesday through Thursday, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Archives - Closed, pending the hire of a new archivist