Holiday Closure Notice: We will be closed Dec 24, 25, 2019 and Jan 1, 2020.
Cultural Resources Management Services
Mandated Programs Holiday Season Scheduling Information
- Mandated Program Offices will be closed 12/23/2019 thru 1/3/2020.
- Expedited ASM services are generally unavailable between 12/9/2019 and 1/3/2020. Expedited service availability starts again on 1/6/2020.
- Any ASM services for which the intent is to receive key deliverables by 12/20/2019 must be requested through the online quote site no later than close of business day (5pm) on 12/5/2019. See the Archaeological Records Office webpage for information regarding delivery of Records Research for Archaeologists and Document Requests in this period.
- Quotes must be approved, invoices paid, and key forms received before 12/9/2019 to ensure processing happens before 12/20/2019.
- Routine service schedules resume on 1/6/2020.
Please also note:
- End of the year processing constraints and deadlines for burial agreements should be addressed directly to Claire Barker (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Continue to report the discovery of human remains or intent to disturb human remains to Claire Barker by email (email@example.com) or by phone at 520-626-0320.
- Continue to report archaeological and paleontological discoveries to Shannon Twilling by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone at 520-621-4795.
Pursuant to the Arizona Antiquities Act (AAA; A.R.S. § 41-841 et seq.), the Arizona State Museum (ASM) administers the preservation of archaeological and paleontological discoveries on state lands in Arizona. State land is defined as land owned or controlled by the State of Arizona or by any agency, instrumentality, or political subdivision of the State of Arizona, including any county or municipal corporation.
Among ASM's state-mandated responsibilities:
- ASM maintains site records in the Archaeological Records Office (ARO), curates archaeological collections in the Archaeological Repository, and project reports and records in ASM's library and archives under terms of the Arizona Antiquities Act.
- ASM's Permits Office issues permits for archaeological and paleontological surveys and excavations conducted on state land.
- ASM's State Repatriation Office oversees the discovery and repatriation of human remains discovered on state (A.R.S. § 41-844) and private (A.R.S. § 41-865) land in Arizona.
The Cultural Resources Management Services web pages provide information on all aspects of the museum's state-mandated responsibilities and provides access to electronic documents, forms, and hyperlinks to key references. All service requests must be through the ASM Request Quote for Services website found at: https://uavpr.arizona.edu/ASM/quoterequest.
- Report archaeological and paleontological discoveries to Shannon Twilling at email@example.com or 520-621-2096.
- Report human remains discoveries to Claire Barker (firstname.lastname@example.org or 520-626-0320) or Cristin Lucas (email@example.com or 520-626-2950).
- Click here for a list of archaeological consultants that can assist in complying with state and private land laws for state in Arizona.
Routine Office Hours
- Archaeological Records Office - Open Tuesday through Thursday, by appointment
- Archaeological Repository - Open Monday through Friday, by appointment
- Permits Office - Open Monday through Friday, by appointment
- Repatriation Office - Open Monday through Friday, by appointment
- Library - Open to the public Tuesday through Thursday, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Archives - By appointment only, Tuesday through Thursday, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.