Arizona Antiquities Act Permits
Holiday Scheduling in the Arizona Antiquities Act (AAA) Permits Office
The AAA Permits Office will be closed 12/18/2023 through 1/1/2024. Please see below for scheduling information for services related to AAA Permit applications, Project Director (PD) Qualifications Applications, and Principal Investigator (PI) Qualifications Applications. Expedited services by the Permits Office will be unavailable between 11/13/2023 and 1/1/2024. Remember that expedited services are available on a case-by-case basis contingent upon staff workloads. Including an expedited turnaround time in a quote request does not guarantee it can be accommodated.
AAA Permits Office Holiday Scheduling Deadlines at a Glance
- 11/13/2023: Last day to submit quote requests for Project-Specific Permits, PD qualifications reviews, and PI qualifications reviews to ensure delivery by 12/15/2023
- 11/15/2023: Last day to approve quotes for Project-Specific Permits, PD qualifications reviews, and PI qualifications reviews to ensure delivery/response by 12/15/2023
- 11/17/2023: Last day to submit forms and payment for Project-Specific Permits, PD qualifications reviews, and PI qualifications reviews to ensure delivery/response by 12/15/2023 (if paying by check, this is the date by which payment must be received)
- 12/1/2023: Last day to submit AAA Blanket Permit applications to ensure delivery by 12/31/2023
- 12/18/2023–1/1/2024: Holiday closure
- 1/2/2024: Normal services resume
AAA Permits Office Services Subject to Holiday Scheduling
- 2023 AAA Blanket Permits: 12/1/2023 is the last day to submit permit applications (electronically or hard copy) to ensure delivery by 12/31/2023. Expedited Blanket Application requests are unavailable between 11/13/2023 and 1/1/2024.
- Project-Specific Permit Applications: 11/13/2023 is the last day to submit quote requests for AAA Project-Specific Permit Applications. Quote approvals must be received by 11/15/2023. To ensure delivery by 12/15/2023, all completed forms and associated documentation must be received by AAA Permits Office and the invoice paid by 11/17/2023. Expedited Permit Application requests are unavailable between 11/13/2023 and 1/1/2024.
- PD/PI Qualifications Applications: 11/13/2023 is the last day to submit quote requests for PD/PI qualification reviews. Quote approvals must be received by 11/15/2023. To ensure a response by 12/15/2023, all completed PD/PI Qualifications Applications must be received by AAA Permits Office and the invoice paid by 11/17/2023. Expedited PD/PI review requests are unavailable between 11/13/2023 and 1/1/2024.
Note About AAA Blanket Permit Applications:
- Submissions must be received on the most up-to-date blanket permit application, which can be found here: https://statemuseum.arizona.edu/crm/document/aaa-blanket-permit-app
- AAA Blanket Permit applications may be submitted electronically to initiate ASM review; however, the hard copy application with original signature must still be submitted for our records. A hard copy must be received by ASM within 30 days of permit issuance, or the permit will be voided.
- Electronic copies of permit applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject heading “AAA Blanket Permit Application”. Please do not modify the subject heading. Doing so may result in permit issuance delays.
- Mail hard copies of signed permit applications to:
Arizona State Museum
Arizona Antiquities Act Permits Office
1013 E. University Blvd.
P.O. Box 210026
Tucson, AZ 85721-0026
- Permit applications must be signed by an approved PI to be listed on the permit.
- Considering the volume of applications received during the typical renewal periods, we do not recommend submitting new PDs and/or PIs for review in December unless your firm has no other staff available to fill these required positions.
- Please do not submit a quote request via the ASM Request Quote for Services website for an AAA Blanket Permit unless a PD or PI that has not been reviewed is being added to the permit.
- Blanket permit applications received after 12/1/2023 (electronically or hard copy) will not be reviewed until after 1/1/2024.
Mandated Programs Holiday Season Scheduling Information
Please visit the main Arizona State Museum Cultural Resources Management Services website for general information on Mandated Programs holiday scheduling.
Archaeologists and paleontologists must qualify for and then obtain an Arizona Antiquities Act (AAA) Blanket Permit or Project-specific Permit from the Arizona State Museum (ASM) before conducting survey or excavation on state lands (land owned or controlled by the State of Arizona or by any agency, instrumentality, or political subdivision of the State of Arizona, including any county or municipal corporation).
Among its responsibilities, the ASM Permits Office handles:
- Reports of archaeological or paleontological discoveries on state land.
- Submission of AAA permit applications.
- Review of treatment plans and reports conducted under AAA project-specific permits.
- Review of prospective Principal Investigators (PI) and Project Directors (PD) for listing on AAA permits.
- Archaeological or paleontological site definition inquiries.
- Submission of final documents for projects conducted under AAA project-specific permits that are curated at repositories other than at the Arizona State Museum (ASM).
A list of professional consultants that hold a current Arizona Antiquities Act permit may be found here.
All requests for service from the ASM Permits Office start by using the ASM Request Quote for Services website found at: https://asmquoterequest.oasis-prod.arizona.edu/ASM/quoterequest/. Please note that in addition to filling out the form on the quote request website, forms and additional backup documentation are required for all services. Links to forms, form instructions, and other guidance documents may be found here.
Arizona Antiquities Act Administrator
Archaeological Permits Office
Arizona State Museum / University of Arizona
PO Box 210026
Tucson, AZ 85721-0026