Holiday Closure Notice: We will be closed Dec 24, 25, 2019 and Jan 1, 2020.
Arizona Antiquities Act Permits
Mandated Programs Holiday Season Scheduling Information
- Mandated Program Offices will be closed 12/23/2019 thru 1/3/2020.
- Expedited ASM services are generally unavailable between 12/9/2019 and 1/3/2020. Expedited service availability starts again on 1/6/2020.
- Any ASM services for which the intent is to receive key deliverables by 12/20/2019 must be requested through the online quote site no later than close of business day (5pm) on 12/5/2019. See the Archaeological Records Office webpage for information regarding delivery of Records Research for Archaeologists and Document Requests in this period.
- Quotes must be approved, invoices paid, and key forms received before 12/9/2019 to ensure processing happens before 12/20/2019.
- Routine service schedules resume on 1/6/2020.
Please also note:
- End of the year processing constraints and deadlines for burial agreements should be addressed directly to Claire Barker (email@example.com).
- Continue to report the discovery of human remains or intent to disturb human remains to Claire Barker by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone at 520-626-0320.
- Continue to report archaeological and paleontological discoveries to Shannon Twilling by email (email@example.com) or by phone at 520-621-4795.
Archaeologists and paleontologists must qualify for and then obtain an Arizona Antiquities Act (AAA) Blanket Permit or Project-specific Permit from the Arizona State Museum (ASM) before conducting survey or excavation on state lands (land owned or controlled by the State of Arizona or by any agency, instrumentality, or political subdivision of the State of Arizona, including any county or municipal corporation).
Among its responsibilities, the ASM Permits Office handles:
- Reports of archaeological or paleontological discoveries on state land.
- Submission of AAA permit applications.
- Review of treatment plans and reports conducted under AAA project-specific permits.
- Review of prospective Principal Investigators (PI) and Project Directors (PD) for listing on AAA permits.
- Archaeological or paleontological site definition inquiries.
- Submission of final documents for projects conducted under AAA project-specific permits that are curated at repositories other than at the Arizona State Museum (ASM).
- Cultural Resources Summary Letters.
Private land developers required by agencies to review ASM’s archaeological records for cultural resources may request a Cultural Resources Summary Letter by completing and submitting the request form.
A list of professional consultants that hold a current Arizona Antiquities Act permit may be found here.
All requests for service from the ASM Permits Office start by using the ASM Request Quote for Services website found at: https://uavpr.arizona.edu/ASM/quoterequest. Please note that in addition to filling out the form on the quote request website, forms and additional backup documentation are required for all services. Links to forms, form instructions, and other guidance documents may be found here.
To ensure receipt of a 2020 Arizona Antiquities Act Blanket Permit by 1/1/2020, all applications must be received in hard copy format by 12/1/2019.
- Submissions must be received on the most up-to-date blanket permit application, which can be found here: https://statemuseum.arizona.edu/crm/document/aaa-blanket-permit-app
- All permit applications must be submitted in hard copy format with an original signature.
- Considering the volume of applications received during the typical renewal periods, we do not recommend submitting new Project Directors (PD’s) and/or Principal Investigators (PI’s) for review unless your firm has no other staff available to fill these required positions.
- Do not request a 2020 AAA Blanket Permit renewal through the ASM Request Quote for Services website unless a PD/PI review is being added.
- Permit applications received after 12/1/2019 will not be reviewed until after 1/2/2020.
Please mail signed applications to:
Archaeological Permits Office
Arizona State Museum
1013 E. University Blvd
PO Box 210026
Tucson, AZ 85721-0026