Arizona Antiquities Act Permits
Archaeologists and paleontologists must qualify for and then obtain an Arizona Antiquities Act (AAA) Blanket Permit or Project-specific Permit from the Arizona State Museum (ASM) before conducting survey or excavation on state lands (land owned or controlled by the State of Arizona or by any agency, instrumentality, or political subdivision of the State of Arizona, including any county or municipal corporation).
Among its responsibilities, the ASM Permits Office handles:
- Reports of archaeological or paleontological discoveries on state land.
- Submission of AAA permit applications.
- Review of treatment plans and reports conducted under AAA project-specific permits.
- Review of prospective Principal Investigators (PI) and Project Directors (PD) for listing on AAA permits.
- Archaeological or paleontological site definition inquiries.
- Submission of final documents for projects conducted under AAA project-specific permits that are curated at repositories other than at the Arizona State Museum (ASM).
- Cultural Resources Summary Letters.
Private land developers required by agencies to review ASM’s archaeological records for cultural resources may request a Cultural Resources Summary Letter by completing and submitting the request form.
A list of professional consultants that hold a current Arizona Antiquities Act permit may be found here.
All requests for service from the ASM Permits Office start by using the ASM Request Quote for Services website found at: https://uavpr.arizona.edu/ASM/quoterequest. Please note that in addition to filling out the form on the quote request website, forms and additional backup documentation are required for all services. Links to forms, form instructions, and other guidance documents may be found here.
2019 Blanket Permit Renewal Information
- Blanket permits do not require the submission of an online quote request unless a new Project Director (PD) and/or Principal Investigator (PI) is being added.
- Submitting a new PD and/or PI review request requires submitting an online quote request.
Please mail signed applications to:
Archaeological Permits Office
Arizona State Museum
1013 E. University Blvd
PO Box 210026
Tucson, AZ 85721-0026