Private Land Requirements
Private landowners, including any partnership or corporation thereof, must comply with state law (A.R.S. § 41-865) regarding the encounter and disturbance of human remains.
Any landowner with intention to disturb human remains or having unintentionally disturbed human remains shall immediately cease any activity in the vicinity of the remains and shall notify the Arizona State Museum Repatriation Office of the encounter. Any human remains and funerary objects shall not be further disturbed without obtaining written permission from the Repatriation Office.
- Procedures for Reporting an Inadvertent Disturbance of Human Remains on Private Land
- For more information on obtaining a Burial Discovery Agreement for a private land project, please see "Questions about Burial Agreements and the Disturbance of Human Remains" in the Frequently Asked Questions section.
- Archaeological consultants – A list of archaeological consultants that can assist in complying with state law for private land.
- Private land developers that are required by agencies other than ASM to have ASM’s archaeological records researched for cultural resources can request a Cultural Resources Summary Letter by completing and submitting the request form.
- Learn more about Arizona state laws by reading Human Burials, Sacred Objects, & You and A.R.S. § 41-844.