Archaeological Records Office
The Archaeological Records Office (ARO) is the official, and only, repository for archaeological survey records and site information generated during Arizona Antiquities Act blanket-permitted work conducted on state lands. State lands means lands owned or controlled by the State of Arizona or by any agency, instrumentality, or political subdivision of the State of Arizona, including any county or municipal corporation. ARO also accepts records from other land jurisdictions under Records Management and Repository Agreements.
Among its responsibilities, ARO oversees and handles:
- Project Registration for Archaeological Survey conducted under an Arizona Antiquities Act Blanket permit.
- Issuance of ASM Site Numbers and ASM Accession Numbers.
- Review of final report submissions for archaeological survey, monitoring, testing, and data recovery projects conducted under an Arizona Antiquities Act Blanket.
- Archaeological survey records and site information generated during Arizona Antiquities Act Blanket-permitted work conducted on state lands
- Records Research services and document requests for archaeologists.
- In-perpetuity curation of archaeological reports and site records as Arizona's official repository for archaeological survey records and site information.
- Records Management and Repository Agreements for project or site records from other land jurisdictions.
Professional archaeologists can research ARO records by appointment Tuesdays through Thursdays. Alternatively, professional archaeologists can request Arizona State Museum staff research ARO records by completing and submitting this request form.
Nonprofessional archaeologists can request ARO records research by completing and submitting this request form. Results of this research are provided in a Cultural Resources Summary Letter.
All requests for service from the ASM Archaeological Records Office start by using the ASM Request Quote for Services website found at: https://asmquoterequest.oasis-prod.arizona.edu/ASM/quoterequest/. Please note that in addition to filling out the form on the quote request website, forms and additional backup documentation are required for all services. Links to forms, form instructions, and other guidance documents may be found here.
Manager, Archaeological Records Office
Arizona State Museum / University of Arizona
P.O. Box 210026
Tucson, AZ 85721-0026